In our highly connected world, a distinctly thought-through technology strategy can make or break any strategic advantage you seek.
Technology is part of our everyday life. For example, you carry your life around with you on the smartphone in your pocket.
To be competitive, you must give your customers access to your systems so they can control the supply of products and services from you. Yes, allowing them to help themselves can improve customer service! This only works of course if your systems are well designed, intuitive to use and reliable.
As technology evolves and develops, tools are becoming more sophisticated; and systems are getting easier to use. With the plethora of tech available, more in-depth knowledge is needed to understand how it all works and how best to implement within your organisation.
So how do you develop technology in your business?
You need to consider the following steps to develop your technology strategy:
- Understand the purpose of your business. Start with WHY you do what you do (YouTube Simon Sinek “Start with Why”)
- Using the ‘Value Proposition Canvas’, write down what your customer is trying to achieve, what are their plans, what they would like to gain and how your products and services resolve them.
- Use ‘Blue Ocean Strategy’ to understand how you can make your competitors irrelevant. These days the difference you can make is through technology.
- Using the ‘Strategic Orbit Planning Tool’, work out where you would like to be in three years time. What is your game plan?
By answering these questions, you can begin to understand what you need to achieve and so you can look at the technology in your business.
- Review your technology infrastructure, software systems, digital communications and engagement with your customers to determine what you need to do to bridge the gap
- You should then be able to document your technology strategy. You can do this quickly through mind mapping. A simple way to demonstrate your plan on one page.
To find out how a thought-through technology strategy can disrupt your industry go to digital disruption
Peter Dickinson, KUB, works with companies to not only develop their business strategy but can also help you build your technology strategy.
For details of how you can develop your technology strategy, please call KUB on 0845 053 7417 or email [email protected]